Thursday 9 June 2011

IF Shadows



                           Size: 27 x 21 cms
                           Media: Indian Ink & paper
                           Pens: Lamy Al Star fountain pen.


The above drawing was a submission for IF.Com weekly theme. This weeks theme was 'Shadows'. My idea behind this drawing was to experiment with the shading method of crosshatching as shading is essentially shadows. A 'shady character' casts his own shadow outside the picture frame.



                                          Size: 17 x 20 cms
                                          Media: Indian ink & paper
                                          Pen: Lamy Al Star fountain pen


This drawing was the first attempt at a shady character..the sort of guy who you don't want to be stuck with in a party.....

11 comments:

  1. I like these sketches, especially the way you've incorporated the frame into them. And these guys have a lot of character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent characterizations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous! What a fun illustration! (actually, both of them)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm rather fond of the top fellow. He feels the most solid in terms of shading and form.
    nice expression as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment! I agree with you Richard, the top one being the IF entry was the stronger of the two..I wanted to put the other one in as an example of my thought/working tracks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very strong. thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rod, great work here — I like them both— and all through your blog!! Found you through Hannah Somerville's comments...Anyway, love your work, especially the mid-life crisis and the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic line work! The characters have a vintage feel...something akin to the macabre work of Charles Addams.
    I really enjoyed your looking through your blog, particularly the 'quick inks'. Love the Rhino.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Rod,
    Thanks for the comment on my IF entry. Yours is awesome! I agree with Richard - I like your IF entry the best. The character is much more developed, seems much more "shadowy" and the use of the shadow outside the box/line gives a sort of 'sinister' vibe to it. Very cool. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your crosshatching is superb and like your other ink work too! Would love to try that bamboo pen...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great line work going on here! I like your style.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks Guys!!